How to make a claim
It is important that you satisfy the claims conditions in your policy wording. Otherwise you might not receive full payment if you make a claim.
- The first thing you must do
If property is lost, or you suspect theft or malicious damage, you must inform the Police as soon as possible and obtain a crime or lost property reference number.
- You should always
Take all reasonable steps to recover missing property or to prevent further damage.
- Check your policy schedule and wording
Check that the loss or damage is covered. The policy contains full details about cover and how claims are settled.
- Notify us
Call our 24hr Claim Notification Line on 0800 197 2770 or 0044 1255 871965 from overseas. Select option 1 to speak to an adviser.
Please read the Claims Conditions section of your Policy Booklet and have your policy number to hand before calling.
When you call the Claim Notification Line, we will:
- Take details of your loss.
- Instruct an approved supplier to contact you if appropriate.
- Where necessary, arrange for someone to call you as soon as possible to discuss your claim. This person may be a member of the claims team or an independent Chartered Loss Adjuster.
After making your claim
- Tell us and provide full details in writing if someone is holding you responsible for damage to their property or bodily injury to them. Send us any writ, summons, letter of claim or other document.
- If requested, send written details of your claim to us within 30 days.
- To help prove your claim, we may require you to provide original purchase receipts, invoices, bank or credit card statements, instruction booklets, photographs or utility bills.
- To help assist in dealing with your claim, we may require you to obtain estimates for the replacement or repair of the damaged property.
We will only ask for information relevant to your claim and we will pay for any reasonable expenses you incur in providing the above information as part of your claim.
What you must NOT do
- Admit or deny any claim made by someone else against you or make any agreement with them.
- Abandon any property to us.
- Dispose of damaged items as we may need to see them.